Saturday 24 June 2023

DO NOT FEAR THOSE WHO HATE YOU

XII SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME - Matthew 10:26-33

It is dangerous to be Christian. Through the centuries, Christians have been the most persecuted religious group. We may ask ourselves why? In which way do Christians constitute a threat to the established elites and those who decide the destiny of the world? Christians are despised and suffer persecution in many parts of the world. However, we should not be surprised. Jesus warned his disciples about that:

“A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for the disciple to be like his teacher, and the servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household.” (Mt 10:24-25)

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.” (Jn 15:18-20).



We live in the world but we do not belong to the world. The values we preach and the way of life we lead are in contrast with the great values accepted by the world and deemed by us as false values. We do not consider wealth and power as the way to happiness. As followers of Jesus Christ, we are called to have the spirit of the poor, putting our trust in the Lord. We accept our limitations and shortcomings and reach out to God for deliverance and salvation. In no way can we get the plenitude of life and salvation on our own. We chose to follow Jesus, being certain that he is the only way to God, who accepts us as his children. That’s why Jesus told his disciples:

“Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul”. And he insisted: “So there is no need to be afraid”.

God takes good care of us. He is our refuge and our salvation. In times of suffering and persecution, it may seem that God has abandoned us but we are simply following Jesus behind, walking in his footsteps. And with Jesus, we may address the Father with confidence, as the psalmist does:

In your great love, answer me, O Lord.


It is for you that I suffer taunts,

  that shame covers my face,

that I have become a stranger to my brothers,

  an alien to my own mother’s sons.

I burn with zeal for your house

  and taunts against you fall on me.


In your great love, answer me, O Lord.

This is my prayer to you,

  my prayer for your favour.

In your great love, answer me, O God,

  with your help that never fails:

Lord, answer, for your love is kind;

  in your compassion, turn towards me.

Let us pray for all Christians who suffer persecution. May the Lord give them strength and endurance to be true witnesses of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment