Saturday 20 July 2024

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD

XVI SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME - Jeremiah 23:1-6

Jesus “saw a large crowd; and he took pity on them because they were like sheep without a shepherd, and he set himself to teach them at some length.” Looking around and paying attention to what is happening to us, we get the same impression: we are like sheep without a shepherd. The world in general but especially the so-called Western world seems to have lost its way. It is as if we live in a hopeless world, guided by a culture of death and self-destruction. We have thrown away God’s commandments deeming them to be oppressive. In an affirmation of autonomy and freedom, we change the rules and create a new perspective of what means to be human. We deny reality and substitute it with our feelings and imagination. I am what I wish to be and others are forced to acknowledge my proclaimed identity. We try to become our gods who decide the goals and the rules that must be accepted. I am whatever I say I am. Our delusions are affirmed as the reality and those who refuse to accept them are seen as the enemy that must be banned and crushed. How have we come to such a situation? We need guidance since we are lost like sheep without a shepherd.



In the first reading, the prophet Jeremiah addresses a similar situation. The flock is “scattered” and goes “wandering” because no one takes “care of them”. They live in fear, trembling with terror. And the shepherds - the leaders, are blamed for such a situation since they care only about themselves. They failed in their duty, thus being condemned to doom: “Doom for the shepherds who allow the flock of my pasture to be destroyed and scattered”. God will punish them for that and he will become the Shepherd who gathers his sheep and brings them together. This Shepherd “will raise up shepherds to look after them and pasture them”. Then, through the prophet, God promises to send the Messiah, a descendent of David, to be the good Shepherd. In the Gospel, Jesus presents himself as that shepherd: “he set himself to teach them at some length” (Mk 6:34).

With Psalm 23, let us put our trust in the Lord who is our shepherd:

The Lord is my shepherd;

  there is nothing I shall want.

Fresh and green are the pastures

  where he gives me repose.

Near restful waters he leads me,

  to revive my drooping spirit.



He guides me along the right path;

  he is true to his name.

If I should walk in the valley of darkness

  no evil would I fear.

You are there with your crook and your staff;

  with these you give me comfort.


You have prepared a banquet for me

  in the sight of my foes.

My head you have anointed with oil;

  my cup is overflowing.


Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me

  all the days of my life.

In the Lord’s own house shall I dwell

  for ever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment