Saturday 5 May 2012

A POEM OF VINICIUS DE MORAES


Vinicius de Moraes was a poet, a composer, a singer, a diplomat. He was a man of many trades, who enjoyed the limelight, and who had a big influence in Brazilian society. I found this nice poem in the blog of my Parish Priest, and I decided to translate it for you. Enjoy the wisdom, and strengthen your faith.

If I die before you, make me a favour.
Cry as much as you like,
but don’t quarrel with God for having taken me.
If you don’t feel like crying, then don’t.
If you cannot cry, don’t worry.
If you feel like laughing, just do so.
If some friends tell something about me,
listen and add your version.
If they overdue the singing of my praises,
correct the exaggeration.
If they overdue the criticism, defend me.
If they want to make me a saint, only because I died,
show them that I had a bit of a saint,
but that I was far from being the kind of saint they imagine.
If they want to make me a devil,
show them that maybe I had a bit of a devil,
but that I tried to be good and friendly in my whole life.
If they speak of me more than of Jesus Christ,
warn them.
If you long for me and want to talk to me,
talk to Jesus and I will listen.
I hope to be with him enough time,
so that I can be useful to you, there where I am.
If you want to write something about me,
Say only a sentence.
This one:
He was my friend,
he believed in me,
and he wanted me to be closer to God!”
Yes, there you can shed some tears.
I will not be there to dry them,
but it doesn’t matter.
Other friends will do that in my place.
Seeing that I have a good substitute,
Myself I will concentrate on my new task in Heaven.
However, from time to time,
give a look towards God.
You will not see me,
but I will be very pleased seeing you looking at him.
And when your turn comes to go to the Father,
there, without any veil separating us,
we will live in God the friendship
that, here, he prepared us for him.
Do you believe these things?
Yes?
Then pray so that both of us
may live as someone who knows
that one day will die,
and that we may die
as someone who knew how to live straight.
Friendship only makes sense
if it brings Heaven closer to us,
and if it initiates here its very beginning.
I am not going to find Heaven strange…
Do you know why?
Because…
Being your friend is already a piece of it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment