Saturday 29 December 2012

CELEBRATING OUR FAMILY

FEAST OF THE HOLY FAMILY: Lk 2:41-52
Raphael: The Holy Family
As we celebrate the Holy Family, we must remember that we are part of that family, since we are God's children. In a way, this is a strange family, similar to all other families, but also different. Jesus was like any other child, and yet so different.
Jesus is overwhelmed by his visit to the Temple
Celebrating the Holy Family, we remember Jesus going to the Temple for the first time, as a young boy. He was so overwhelmed and so deeply touched, that he forgot everything else. 
He had the desire and the attitude of the psalmist who said: 
"I have asked one thing from the Lord;
it is what I desire:
to dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
gazing on the beauty of the Lord
and seeking Him in His temple." (Ps 27:4)
He did not want to go anywhere else. 
He belonged there, in the house of the Father.
Jesus behaved like a naughty boy
It is not surprising that he felt at home in the Temple. What is surprising is that he behaved a little like a naughty boy, putting his parents in serious trouble. They could not explain his whereabouts, looking like irresponsible parents, who lost their child. They trusted his sense of wisdom and maturity, but he forgot them. In a way, that is normal in a boy who is twelve years old. 
Finally, they found him in the Temple, discussing with the doctors of the Law, who were astounded with his knowledge and understanding. With nice words, his mother reproached him: Why have you done this to us? We were so worried.
Jesus' answer sounds like the answers of so many of our youths: Why were you looking for me? It is as if Jesus was trying to affirm himself before his parents and in front of people. However, he gave the reason for his question: I must be busy with my Father's affairs. Surely, you know that.
God is supreme
Jesus' answer is like a prelude of his future teaching, when he said: "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me" (Mt 10:37). And when he said: "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers? And pointing to his disciples, he said, Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." (Mt 12:48-50).
Jesus puts it very clear: God his supreme; there is nothing and nobody who can supersede him.
As I said at the beginning, we are part of this family. In his first letter, John makes it very clear: "See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are." (1 Jn 3:1, from this Sunday's second reading). Being God's children, we are destined "to be like him".
There are, however, two essential conditions:
a) We must believe in the Son of God, Jesus Christ;
b) We must love one another.
So simple and yet so difficult. We celebrate, so that we renew our commitment to live as the true family of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment