Friday 19 April 2013

VOCATION SUNDAY


IV EASTER SUNDAY: Jn 10:27-30

The Good Shepherd from the Catacomb of Domitilla (200-300 bc)
Jesus presented himself as a good shepherd, who cares for his sheep with love. Although Jesus himself was a carpenter, he had seen many flocks and many different kinds of shepherds. He appreciated the ones who loved their flock and who were always ready to defend and protect them. The shepherd is a leader who must be dependable, reliable and committed, because he is at the service of the community.
Describing his role as a shepherd, Jesus tells us that he established a relationship of trust and love with his people. The passage chosen for this Sunday is very clear:
“The sheep that belong to me listen to my voice;
I know them and they follow me.
I give them eternal life;
they will never be lost
and no one will ever steal them from me.
The Father who gave them to me is greater than anyone,
and no one can steal from the Father.
The Father and I are one.” (John 10:27-30)
We belong to Jesus, and nobody can steal us from him.
All the leaders in the Church, at all levels, must be good shepherds like Jesus.

This Sunday is a Sunday dedicated to the leadership in the Church, which must be a leadership of service, not of power. As we pray and reflect, we also ask the Lord for all those who are called to exercise this ministry of service, so that they may be good shepherds like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment