Thursday 29 September 2011

BACK IN SOLWEZI

Finally I am back in Solwezi, in St. Kizito Pastoral Centre. I spent a few days in Lusaka. First, with the Tutes, who welcomed me in their home. With them, I went to the Sunday mass in the Parish of Mary Immaculate in Woodlands. It is a new parish, full o life. Here, in all parishes, the Eucharistic celebration is always a great feast, where people come together as one family rejoicing in the Lord. The singing was good and everybody participated. What a difference with the Sunday masses of my home parish in Portugal. There, it seems that people and priest have mass as a duty that they must perform. The singing is poor, the participation is almost zero and the atmosphere is dull and somber. In Portugal, the majority of the congregation is over forty years old. Here, there are plenty of children and plenty of young people. It is the whole community participating and giving thanks to God.
After spending two days with the Tutes, I spent three days in Lilanda Parish, with Frs. Joaquim, Piero and Anthony. Fr. Dario, my friend, who comes from a neighbouring diocese in Portugal, was also there, and I moved with him around town, to have an experience of the chaotic traffic of Lusaka, during the rush hour. Lilanda Parish is just in the middle of the compound, close to the people who struggle every day to survive. There, like in so many other places in Zambia, we can find a joyful people, who are able to celebrate life in the middle of hardships. In Europe, many people think that riches and wealth are essential to find joy and happiness, and they live worried about the future. Here, we find plenty of people who find joy and happiness with very little and with no riches at all. They find joy and happiness in each other, in a life lived in family and community, knowing that they are accepted and loved.
Back in Solwezi, I put my life at the service of people, knowing that in sharing with them I receive more than I give.

No comments:

Post a Comment