Saturday 24 September 2011

BACK IN ZAMBIA


I never enjoyed long trips, mainly when I have to fly. The day before the journey, the appetite disappears and my stomach becomes upset. Anyway, the journey went well, with long walks in London, moving from one terminal to the other. We departed from terminal 5 in Heathrow airport. It is a huge new terminal. There is always a crowd of people moving in all directions. We are close together, walking or seating side by side, and yet we remain so far apart. The passenger next to me was a Zambian, who worked as a miner in Chingola and now lives in UK. We greeted each other and then we sat side by side. He spent part of the time reading the Talmud. I showed interest, and he asked me if I was a Jew. No! I am a Christian. He explained why he likes the Talmud: some of the things that are not explained in the Bible are found in the Talmud. We did not get closer than that. In the end, he went his way and I went mine, without knowing each other’s name.
Today’s world is like this: at any time, we bump into each other, and yet we remain complete strangers. Although living together, each one follows his own way. Individualism is ruling the world and becoming worse.
It is good to be back. And a new Zambia is in the making. At least, people are full of expectations. They have been betrayed so many times, that the same may happen again. Let us pray that the new leaders put themselves totally at the service of Zambia.

No comments:

Post a Comment